Friday, June 1, 2012

anglofile

A few mutual friends in this big small town and a few emails exchanged along the lines of collaborative music making and I lug the bass and baritone guitar up three flights of stairs of an apartment building up the street last night not sure what will come of things. I like his chord progressions, the chorus-drenched guitars, some sense of songcraft that was missing in the previous endeavor, and I think we're both a little nervous, being introverts with sounds in our heads, but we click, and I move from root notes on the bass to relaxing and opening up the fretboard to go all Peter Hook on it.

Somehow the hours slip away in talk about music, scrawling out chords on sheets of notebook paper, and trading our favorite tunes, his French new wave and stoner rock, my second-tier britpop obsessions, we're not completely on the same page musically but there's enough overlap that maybe something could work even if I'm not so much into the Smiths, more for Morrissey's big mouth striking again and again, and personality-wise, it's nice to know some new folks in the neighborhood too. We shall see what comes of this, and at least there's a mutual love of minor-key chord progressions and pleasantly fuzzy distortion. 


1 comment:

  1. WHADDYA MEAN I DON'T BELIEVE IN MORRISSEY?
    HE TALKS TO US EVERYDAY

    ReplyDelete