Tuesday, January 21, 2014

karmacoma

It's Del Naja's birthday today which meant I played an hour of Massive Attack on the show this morning. Like Portishead, it seems like they cut across all sorts of cultural and aesthetic boundaries which I always find interesting, being adored in equal measure by the heshers and the hip-hop kids, and everyone in between and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who began to dip my toes into non-straight-rock things after I heard Mezzanine for the first time and fell in love with the cavernous dystopian atmosphere and the deep bass and sweet vocals.

Nothing's quite touched their earlier work, but they're still some of the best, the soundtrack to so many late nights encompassing long drives and art school projects and conversations about all and nothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment